Below are the WTA "rules" for Wednesday night doubles matches, Thursday night singles matches, and scoring information.
Also, there have been a few questions regarding some basic rules of the game and also an appropriate code of conduct on the courts. For some good information on this please see the following links: www.usta.com/rules or www.tennisserver.com. Click on the links to “Rules” and “The Code”. Let’s all try to keep it fun and fair out there!
Wednesday Night Doubles
- All women’s doubles matches are scheduled at 6pm. Please be at the courts on time (earlier if you need to warm-up longer). If the women’s matches start late, it causes a ripple effect to the rest of the evening’s matches to start late as well.
- Mixed doubles matches are scheduled at 7pm AND 8pm.
- Men's doubles matches are scheduled at 8pm AND 9pm.
- Please check your schedule carefully and notify us right away if you see any problems. Thank you.
- Use regular ad scoring. The team with the most games at the end of the hour wins. Usually it is a 10 game set, win by 2.
- Discuss with your opponents prior to the match how to handle a match that is tied near the end of your time (tie breaker, or just play one more game). No ties please.
- We play a standard "12 point tie-break". If you are not familiar with this type of tie-break, review these instructions. If both opponents or teams agree they want to play a Coman tie-break, that's fine, but if an agreement cannot be reached the default is the 12 point format.
- Allow all scheduled matches to start play first, and then start a make-up or pick-up match if a court is available. Please be sure not to take up a court just for practice/make-up if there are scheduled matches needing a court.
- Matches are scheduled for 1 hour, including warm-up. Plan to be done at the end of the hour. Men’s Doubles players – note that the courts will be mostly open at 9pm so feel free to discuss with your opponents if you plan on playing with the hour limit or if you all agree to play past the hour since the courts will be available.
- If you know you can’t play your match, you must make every attempt to find a sub . If you definitely cannot find a sub, you must call AT LEAST 24 hours before your scheduled time to reschedule, or forfeit the match. Please be considerate of your fellow members by following this rule. Remember, substitutes can’t play at a level lower than their designation and they must be a current member of the WTA.
- Deadline for turning in scores: September 3.
In recent years, there are has been a growing number of cancelations and rescheduling. You must make every effort to be available for every scheduled match. If circumstances are beyond your control, you must try to find a sub from the sub list. By joining the league you have made a commitment to play every week. Please be responsible to this commitment. Unavoidable life issues are one thing, making other social plans and blowing off your tennis night is another. Respect your fellow members!
Thursday Night Singles
- All women’s singles matches are scheduled at 6:30pm
- All men’s singles matches are scheduled at 8pm
- If you cannot play on the Thursday scheduled, you MUST contact your opponent AT LEAST 24 hours before the scheduled match time. If you do not make contact, your opponent has the right to claim a forfeit.
- Play is scheduled for 1 ½ hours, including warm-up. You can choose to play a 10 game set or best of 3 sets. Decide before your match what scoring you will use.
- We play a standard "12 point tie-break". If you are not familiar with this type of tie-break, review these instructions.
- Deadline for turning in scores: September 3.
In recent years, there are has been a growing number of cancelations and rescheduling. You must make every effort to be available for every scheduled match. By joining the league you have made a commitment to play every week. Please be responsible to this commitment. Unavoidable life issues are one thing, making other social plans and blowing off your tennis night is another. Respect your fellow members!
- It is the responsibility of the winning person or team to report the match results. If using the score sheet kept at the courts, circle the number in your row and cross out the number in your opponent's row. If your win is a result of a forfeit, please write an "F" next to the circle/cross out.
- Two forfeits will be allowed to count towards each person or team's win/loss record.
- No call/no shows result in an instant forfeit that DO NOT count towards the allowed two forfeits above. We aske everyone this year to notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org when they encounter a no call/no show player or team. The board plans on tracking this information to address repeat offenders. Thank you for your understanding.
- You can report results to our scorekeeper, Vicki. Her email addresss is: email@example.com. You can also call her at 261-7243 to report your results.
- Deadline for reporting results is September 3 . After that, any matches not played will be considered losses.
- Awards are given to the 1st and 2nd place winners of each category and level of play at the annual awards gathering.
Sign up on the registration form if you want to be designated as a substitute. If you need a substitute for a doubles match, refer to the membership list, but remember that subs can’t play at a level lower than their designation.
Substitutes must be WTA members.
If you would like to join the league as a substitute only, the registration fee is reduced to $15.
On opening night and various weeks of each month (weather permitting), beverages and snacks are provided at the courts. This provides an opportunity for everyone to socialize and get to know fellow members.
Dates of the coolers are: May 10, May 31, June 28, July 26, and August 16